It is best to make use of pregnancy-safe shampoos during pregnancy to protect your health and that of your baby.
Also, there are a lot of changes that take place during pregnancy that can make you sensitive or allergic to normal products you use on a daily basis and this includes your skin and hair care products.
A lot of women experience an increase in sensitivity and hair loss during pregnancy. This is why pregnancy-safe shampoos are advisable for pregnant women.
In this post, we’ve gathered some of the best pregnancy-safe shampoos for you.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
What Happens To Your Hair During Pregnancy?
It is very common for a lot of changes to take place in a woman’s body during pregnancy and the hair is not excluded. Change in hair thickness and even texture is normal during pregnancy and not something you should worry about.
All these is caused by the excessive production of estrogen.
You may even find hairs growing in unwanted places like the belly, chest, and face; but this is normal during pregnancy and everything will be back to normal a few months after giving birth.
You may even discover that your scalp is sensitive at times, and some women may experience hair growth while some experience hair loss.
All these are part of your pregnancy journey and getting a good pregnancy-safe shampoo will reduce hair problems for you and even handle the issue of sensitivity.
What To Consider When Buying Pregnancy-Safe Shampoos
Below are some important factors to consider when searching for pregnancy-safe shampoos.
- Check the ingredient list and avoid shampoos that contain parabens, formaldehyde, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), and ammonia.
- Parabens disrupt hormone levels and can lead to low birth weight and even preterm birth.
- Formaldehyde can cause congenital disabilities and miscarriage
- Phthalates, in studies, caused reproductive development issues in animals and experts have discouraged women from using products with phthalates during pregnancy.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate can cause congenital disabilities.
- Alcohol makes your hair brittle and dry
- Look for shampoos containing biotin, it reduces hair breakage.
- Opt for organic shampoos during pregnancy and breastfeeding and even after that. They are safer and reduce your exposure to harmful chemicals thus reducing your risks of diseases. Organic shampoos exist in scented and unscented versions.
- Go for shampoos that won’t strip moisture away from your hair and scalp.
- Do a skin check before using any shampoo first. This helps you to see if it may cause allergic reactions and also hormonal imbalance that can affect your baby. Even when you find the best pregnancy-safe shampoo, it is still advisable to carry out regular skin-checks so you can see if you’ve developed allergic reactions to it.
You carry out skin checks by applying the product on your skin and waiting for at least 20 minutes to see if there is a reaction.
This is one of the best shampoos for pregnancy. It is made with real plants and natural ingredients like shea butter, honey, and B vitamins. These natural ingredients will condition your hair naturally making it soft and smooth.
It is safe to use on colored-treated hair and it also moisturizes dry hair. Vitamin B boosts hair growth and also increases the flow of oxygen to the hair follicles.
This shampoo is free from harmful chemicals like parabens, sulfates, and mineral oil that can affect the growth of your baby.
Herbal essences shampoo comes in a pack which includes a conditioner which you can use after shampooing your hair. It controls frizz, keeps your hair shiny, and doesn’t make your hair oily after use.
This product is not suitable for people with dry hair because it may dry the hair further. It is meant for people with oily/greasy hair type.
- Free of toxic chemicals
- Made with natural ingredients
- Can be used on colored-treated hair
- It is mildly scented
- It is not meant for dry hair
This shampoo is specifically made for pregnant women who are suffering from hair thinning. A lot of women suffer from hair loss during pregnancy.
This shampoo will thicken your hair and increase your hair volume. It is made with natural ingredients like mimosa flowers and coconut water and they work wonders for the hair.
These natural ingredients will supply your hair with important nutrients it needs thereby increasing your hair volume. It reduces hair loss problems.
This vegan shampoo is also safe for pregnant women and their developing babies. It is free from harmful chemicals that are not good for pregnancy.
It is safe for all hair types, including colored hair.
- Free from dyes and parabens
- Contains natural ingredients
- Boosts hair volume
- Contains a type of sulphate
If you love scented shampoos, go for this. It is made with natural ingredients like jojoba that repairs hair damage, moringa that detoxifies the hair, and quinoa, a superfood that hydrates and boosts hair management.
It is free from toxic chemicals that can harm the baby, it is dermatologically tested, hypoallergenic, and non-irritating for both your hair and body.
Also, it is a vegan shampoo and cruelty-free. It will keep your hair healthy during pregnancy.
Dr. James, a specialist in immunology, obstetrics, gynecology, pharmacology, and internal medicine from dofeve.org recommends this product for pregnant women. He said: “- The Super-Leaves science shampoo provides extra strength and will help you achieve the best results possible.
– The Super-Leaves science shampoo is specifically formulated to help you achieve the best results possible with your natural hair.
– It is ideal for all hair types, including damaged and dry hair, as well as oily hair.
– It strengthens weak hair shafts and stimulates regrowth.
– The Super-Leaves science shampoo will also help you achieve healthier-looking hair by reducing dandruff, scaling, and itching.
– It is also suitable for all ethnicities and all hair types.
- Contains natural ingredients
- No toxic chemicals in it
- Dermatologically tested
- It is not meant for intense cleaning
This pregnancy-safe shampoo is formulated with natural and safe ingredients like Centella, star anise, fenugreek, hyssop, Brinkglass, and burdock. All these relieve sensitive scalp and induce calmness.
It contains eucalyptus oil that can relieve itchy hair and also boost hair growth. This shampoo can give you naturally long and beautiful hair during pregnancy.
It cleanses the scalp deeply and cleans harmful impurities from the hair. It is good for oily and sensitive scalp and you will love your hair after using this product.
This pregnancy-safe shampoo is vegan and free from sulfate, dyes, and other toxic chemicals that can harm pregnant women or even cause hair fall.
- Offers deep cleansing
- Sulfate free
- Vegan and made with natural ingredients
- It has a strong and zingy feel
This pregnancy-safe shampoo is best for dry and itchy scalp. It is made for soft and sensitive skin. It contains natural ingredients among which are almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, and tea tree oil.
These natural and safe ingredients give the shampoo a soft and smooth texture.
This shampoo keeps the scalp and hair clean of contaminants.
- Contains natural ingredients
- Good for colored hair
- Free of toxic chemicals
- Not suitable for oily scalp
This pregnancy-safe shampoo will keep the natural moisture of your hair. It is free from sulfates which strips your hair of its natural moisture which can cause hair dryness and dullness.
It thoroughly cleanses and moisturizes the hair. Also, it contains natural ingredients like coconut and quinoa protein extracts that can supply nutrients to your hair and strengthen your hair shaft.
Everyone Balance shampoo also contains essential oils that will give you the benefits of aromatherapy while gently cleansing your hair.
The right blend of grapefruit, juniper, and sage is also included to keep your hair smooth and shiny.
- Gluten-free pregnancy-safe shampoo
- Treats itchy and flaky scalp
- Great for oily hair
- It may grease out your hair
Are you experiencing hair thinning during pregnancy? Then get this pregnancy-safe anti-hair thinning shampoo.
During change in hormonal levels during pregnancy, the hair can shed excessively. This shampoo is made with high levels of silica and biotin and these ingredients prevents hair breakage and thinning.
Its natural ingredients that also includes a DHT herbal blend improves the health of your hair and cleanses your scalp effectively.
The nettle extracts, black cumin seed oil, and pumpkin seed it contains prevents hair thinning and keeps your hair soft and thick at the same time.
This shampoo will make your hair stronger and healthier.
- Vegan and cruelty-free pregnancy-safe shampoo
- Boosts hair volume and reduces breakage
- It is not suitable for hair that is extra-sensitive
This is one of the best pregnancy-safe shampoos for dry and damaged hair. This sulfate-free shampoo will restore hope to damaged hair that seems all hope is lost.
It is made with plant-based cleansers and organic coconut oil that nourishes your hair. It contains ylang-ylang that will give off a scent that makes you feel clean and fresh all day.
Also, it is 100% vegan and cruelty-free.
- Free of harmful chemicals like dyes and parabens
- Good for dry hair
- Repairs damaged hair
- It contains scent
This pregnancy-safe shampoo has the right pH balance to prevent itchiness, breakage, and frizz. It contains soapberry and lavender that will give your hair a smooth and shiny feel and it also has a pleasant scent.
Lavender helps in creating a relaxing atmosphere. Other natural ingredients this pregnancy-safe shampoo is made with are argan oil, olive leaves, aloe vera, and chamomile.
All these will moisturize your scalp and hair and keep them free from dandruff. It does not contain harsh chemicals like sulfates and parabens.
- Balances the hair pH
- It is not to be used on oily hair
This pregnancy-safe shampoo is suitable for all hair types. It gives the feeling of a fully cleansed hair and scalp. It has a technology that effectively removes dirt and other impurities on the hair and scalp.
Also, it contains seaweed extracts that helps in renewing the original moisture and pH balance of the hair. It is free from sulfate and gives a clean, shiny, and fresh smelling hair.
- Does not contain toxins and harsh chemicals
- Rebalances hair moisture and pH
- Dermatologist recommended
This pregnancy-safe shampoo is best for oil control and hair thinning. It keeps your hair thick and clean and it is dense with nutrients. It contains biotin that adds gloss to your hair.
Also, it contains bergamot and orange oil to give you a refreshed hair that you can smell right from the scalp to the tips of your hair.
This shampoo helps in resolving hair problems during pregnancy like hair loss, hair breakage, scalp inflammation, and scalp flakes.
- Contains natural biotin
- Great for sensitive hair
- Contains EWG green ingredients
- The scent may cause irritation in some pregnant women
This shampoo is best for dry hair and scalp. It contains natural ingredients like vitamin B5, shea butter, and jojoba seeds that keeps your hair strong and moisturized.
It contains citrus-mint scents that can help reduce morning sickness and nausea. Its gentle formula is suitable for all hair types and colored hair.
- Naturally formulated
- No harsh chemicals
- It has a natural relaxing and soothing fragrance
This pregnancy-safe shampoo can be the answer to all the sensitivity woes of pregnant women. It is unscented, hypoallergenic, paraben-free, soy-free, and gluten-free.
It doesn’t contain any form of dye or colorant and it is 100% vegan and cruelty-free. Also, it contains avocado oil that makes your hair soft.
It nourishes your hair and maintains its natural moisture.
If you need a gentle formula for cleansing your hair, this is perfect for you.
- It is 100% vegan and fragrance free
- It doesn’t offer deep cleansing
This pregnancy-safe shampoo is best for women with very sensitive skin. As you use it, it will enable your body consume healthy and natural ingredients through the pores on the scalp.
It is made with plant-based ingredients like shea butter, rosemary, olive, sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, and aloe vera.
It is environment-friendly and cruelty-free. Also, it will repair your hair and scalp and help you maintain healthy hair during pregnancy.
- Good for dry hair and scalp
- It is rich and nourishing
- The results are slow
If mainstream shampoo has damaged your hair, this organic and pregnancy-safe shampoo can fix it for you.
It brings moisture and nourishment to dry hair and scalp and prevents hair breakage and split ends. It balances hair pH and contains only natural ingredients.
Aloe vera in this shampoo is a great conditioner that helps in healing the scalp and preventing dandruff. Barley restores your natural hair color, reduces hair loss, and encourages hair growth.
One feature that makes this pregnancy-safe shampoo stand out from other brands it the black soybean oil it contains which nourishes the hair.
- Contains natural and organic ingredients
- It matches with the natural acidity of the hair
Hair Care Tips For Pregnant Women
The tips below will prevent hair thinning and other hair problems during pregnancy.
- Adopt healthy nutrition because health foods and optimum hydration will moisturize and protect your hair follicles thereby making your hair stronger.
- Don’t brush your hair when wet because the hair is more fragile when wet. Brushing wet hair can stretch it and cause damage.
- Don’t make tight hairstyles like making ponytails or tying your hair in a bun. These can cause hair breakage.
- Take a good multivitamin and mineral supplement recommended by your doctor. This will ensure a healthy hair during pregnancy.
- Make use of the right shampoo and conditioner. This is why we put together this post to help pregnant women make the right choice when it comes to pregnancy-safe shampoos.
- Relax and manage stress effectively because stress has a negative impact on the hair. Always take time to relax.
Having healthy hair is possible even during pregnancy. This post offers you the much-needed help to achieve that. Apart from a list of pregnancy-safe shampoos, there are also wonderful hair tips to maintain strong, beautiful hair throughout your pregnancy journey.
You might also like: