An infant’s skull is that part of a baby’s body that allows the head to grow. They are excellent at protecting the developing brain but can flatten out as a result of a mishap arising from either the position of the baby while in the womb, the baby’s journey through the birth canal, or if you constantly make your baby lay down on a particular side of the head.
Babies with this challenge are said to be victims of plagiocephaly which is also known as the flat head syndrome and it can be corrected through the use of the right baby pillow.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
Before listing out some of the best flat head pillows, here is a detailed explanation of the flat head syndrome.
- What Is Flat Head Syndrome
- John N Tree Organic Flat Head Pillow
- Crown Baby Head Shaping Pillow
- Babebay Head Shaping Pillows
- Mokeydou Baby Head Shaping Pillow
- Babymoov Lovenest Plus Baby Pillow
- Babymoon Pod Multipurpose Baby Pillow
- Mhomer Flat Head Pillow
- Cuumama Memory Foam Flat Head Baby Pillow
- What To Check When Choosing A Baby Flat Head Pillow
What Is Flat Head Syndrome
Flat head syndrome is a situation where a baby’s head has become flat on one side which is sometimes linked to a baby sleeping or lying solely on his or her back or lying on the same part of the head either on the bed, in a car seat, or rocker.
As scary as the condition may sound, note that this does not in any way prevent the natural development of the child, and the condition usually corrects itself as your baby grows. However, if you are worried as a parent, or if the condition had refused to go away, then a baby flat head pillow will help to reshape your baby’s head and provide comfort while they sleep.
Below are some of the best flat head pillows.
This is a super-soft flathead pillow that measures 15 x 8 inches. It is made from natural organic cotton and has a polyester filling. Also, it is breathable, eco-friendly, extremely comfortable, and supports your baby’s head which helps to prevent the flat head syndrome because it will evenly distribute the pressure exerted on the head and provide adequate support to the neck support. It can be used during diaper changes, breastfeeding and more.
- Has a polyester filling
- Made of natural organic cotton
- it is breathable and comfortable to use
- It is easy to clean
- It sometimes gets hot.
- It is only suitable for babies below six months.
The Crown baby head shaping pillow is designed for the delicate head of newborns. It helps them to relax while also protecting them from hard flat surfaces.
Your little one can take a royal look as he or she rests comfortably on the crown-shaped pillow that promotes a healthy head shape by protecting babies against flat head syndrome.
It restrains pressure on a baby’s head and is suitable for use in swings, cribs, strollers, playmats, and every other place a baby can relax.
- Has a crown-shaped pillow
- Has a double set of pillowcases
- It has a curved hook that supports the head, neck, and body.
- It promotes a healthy head shape.
- The pillow covers are machine washable.
- It is suitable for any surface a baby can rest on.
- It is not suitable for babies above six months
This heart-shaped pillow ensures that flat-head babies have a perfectly rounded heads. It has a soft memory foam with a 3D concave shape and depth that was scientifically designed to reduce the pressure on the head and neck, while also solving the issue of head shape.
- Soft memory foam
- Measures 9.4 x 9.4 inches
- Covered with a breathable fabric cover.
- Has an overall thickness of 1.18 inches.
- It is easy to use and clean
- It can be used anywhere a baby can lay such as in a crib, cradle, bouncer, stroller, or car seat.
- It gets hot sometimes which will not make a baby comfortable.
Mokeydou pillows are made of hypoallergenic cotton with an arc-shaped groove design that helps to give a baby a perfect round head by distributing the pressure on the head to the neck and body while also providing support to the neck.
- It is eco-friendly
- Made of hypoallergenic cotton
- Has slow rebound memory foam
- Has washable organic cotton pillowcase
- Equipped with antibacterial, anti-mite lining.
- It has ventilation holes to enhance airflow and allow a baby to sleep well.
- It is odorless
- Suitable for the sensitive skin
- Helps a baby have a restful sleep
- Keeps a baby’s head in alignment with the spine.
- Suitable only for newborns
- Babies outgrow it quickly
This baby flat head pillow was designed to prevent the occurrence of plagiocephaly in infants and ensures that babies have a round head.
At the front of the pillow is a well-crafted soft and breathable Coolmax fabric that regulates temperature for maximum comfort and prevents sweat. It distributes pressure evenly around the head which helps to shape their head. Its anti-slip fabric prevents it from shifting.
- Has an anti-slip fabric
- Well-crafted soft and breathable Coolmax fabric
- It is safe to use
- It is machine washable
- Extremely comfortable
- It supports the head and neck
- It can wear out easily
- Babies outgrow it quickly
Babymoon Pod Multipurpose Baby Pillow is excellent for babies with the flat head syndrome. It is versatile as it can be used as head support for babies between 0 to 6 months, as a support for the neck from 6 months upwards, and as a travel pillow.
It cradles an infant’s head with its two adjustable arms that are attached with velcro. The two arms can later be separated and used as neck support while the velcro can be covered with the peek-a-boo flap to prevent skin irritation.
- Has two adjustable arms that are attached with velcro.
- Has a 100% polyester cover and filling
- It is versatile.
- It is easy to clean
- Machine washable
- It is not durable
- The price is not worth the value.
This flat head pillow is crafted with a soft, comfortable, odorless, and safe hydrophilic foam with an efficient rebound. It has a concave shape in the middle to reduce the pressure on a single point on an infant’s delicate head. It also has a hypoallergenic, soft, and breathable polyester cover that is temperature-resistant and permits the free flow of air.
- Has a concave shape
- Crafted with a safe hydrophilic foam.
- Has a hypoallergenic and breathable polyester cover
- It is easy to clean
- It is comfortable to use
- Also, it distributes pressure evenly around the head, neck, and body.
- It is not suitable for all infants
This durable and hypoallergenic, soft memory foam distributes pressure evenly on the baby’s head to prevent the flat head syndrome. It has a removable cover without a zipper that is made of ultra-soft 100% cotton.
It ensures a healthy head shape for a baby and provides contoured neck support to ensure a baby’s spine aligns perfectly.
- A removable cover made of 100% cotton.
- Has a durable and hypoallergenic, soft memory foam.
- It ensures a healthy head shape of a baby.
- It can be used on any surface a baby can lay on.
- Also, it provides the necessary comfort an infant needs.
- It is expensive for its value
- It is not suitable for older babies above six months
What To Check When Choosing A Baby Flat Head Pillow
Before you finally settle for a flat head pillow, take note of these factors:
Babies often have sensitive skin therefore make sure the materials used for the pillow are hypoallergenic and combined with other suitable organic materials for a baby’s sensitive skin.
The cotton should be smooth, soft, and comfortable. Memory foam is an excellent option for the infill because it provides good support and molds to the shape of the head.
A pillow should be neither too firm nor soft because both can cause discomfort to your baby. If you press a pillow and it doesn’t return to its original shape, it means it is too soft, avoid it. Likewise, if you have to put much pressure on it to press it then it may be too hard don’t buy it.
A good baby pillow should be pressed when pressure is put on it and should retain its shape immediately after the pressure is withdrawn.
In addition, don’t purchase pillows that are too small for your child’s head, it can cause them to slip off when they are sleeping, however, they may be preferred if they are used in cribs, strollers, play mats, and bassinet, because that way, you can have your baby’s head supported wherever they may be lying in.
A flat head pillow should have its center in a concave depression to properly position your baby’s head. It will prevent it from slipping off while your little one is sleeping. Some pillows may have attractive and fun patterns, but ensure you settle for the most supportive shape for your baby’s head.
A breathable head shaper allows cool air to circulate your baby’s head in warm weather. This helps to Improve the comfort of your child.
Easy To Clean
Babies are known to drool, therefore you should choose a pillow that can be easily washed and that gets dry quickly, especially if you have only one. However, you can consider purchasing an extra pillow to have alternatives to fall back on.
Check out for pillows that are certified to be safe for a baby’s health. The certification of a product shows that the product has undergone safety checks and is proven to be safe and healthy.
Baby pillows are made for newborns and young babies. They are often sold as a tool to prevent ‘flat head syndrome’.
Babies usually sleep on the same spot on their mattress and this can cause the soft bones in their skull to flatten out resulting in the flat head syndrome. It can also be as a result of birth mishaps either the position of the child while in the womb or on its journey through the birth canal.
There is no research to show when it is safe to use pillows for babies though most brands claim that they can be used from birth.
The right baby flat head pillow can help to minimize the occurrence of a flathead disorder in your baby. Check through any of the best flat head pillows listed above to help reshape the head of your baby and help him or her have a peaceful sleep.
You might also like:
Stories surrounding the different deities are usually mysterious and inspiring. Giving your little one any…
Our sugar baby names list is for moms who need sweet names for their precious…
Black baby boy names are usually gotten from African, and Arabic roots while others have…
People who love nature and are looking for nature-themed names will find these ice nicknames…