As a first-time mom, do you know that there are several to-dos when preparing for the arrival of your newborn? This baby checklist would usually include the setting-up of the nursery, baby gear for sleeping, diapering, and eating. Other things included in the list are; clothing items, bathing materials, and health essentials for your little one.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
The things needed for a newborn can take any mom-to-be by surprise and it is easy to overlook important aspects.
The question therefore is, what do you need for a baby that you can’t do without? No need to worry, because in this article the baby checklist would be well highlighted to ease the burden off you.
Read on for a complete list of everything a new mom needs to know about the things to buy for her baby before delivery.
The following are included in the baby checklist;
With the advent of technology, the following are the basics required to have a safe, welcoming, and functional baby nursery. It would need an adorable décor (baby bedding and furniture) that would make caring for your infant not only safe but also easy.
Here are the necessities required to prepare for your baby nursery checklist.
- Bedding – such as pillows and thick blankets should be discouraged because it can block a baby’s airway which can lead to suffocation. The bedding used can also increase the risk of SIDS – Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. However, infants should be placed on a firm sleep surface like the mattress in a safe crib and covered by fitted sheets.
- Crib mattress
- Baby monitor (optional)
- Vaporizer or humidifier (optional)
- Glider or rocking chair
- Swaddle and diaper pail (optional)
- Toy basket (optional)
- Changing table for diaper
- A baby mobile
- Baby mobile
- Hamper (with a washable and removable liner)
Baby Checklist For Diapering Essentials
Changing a diaper may initially seem difficult but trust me; you will surely become good at it with time. So, this baby checklist for diapering needs would help you pick up these essentials faster.
Check out the necessary baby items for the diapering section.
- Changing pad
- Changing table
- Diapers (6 -10 dozen cloth diapers, 2-4 big boxes of disposable newborn diapers, and 6-8 diaper covers)
- Diaper bag
- Plastic wipe holder
- Cotton cloths or unscented baby wipes
- Diaper rash cream/ointment
- Diaper pail
- Small thermos for the warm water (ideal for cleaning babies below 6 weeks)
Baby Wardrobe And Clothing Essentials
Here, you will have to pick something that would make your baby cozy and comfy – that is clothing that best suits the season (pajamas, t-shirts, onesies, etc). Buy cotton materials or something close to it because it does not cause skin irritation for the baby.
The following should be part of your baby checklist for clothing needs;
- Swaddle blanket
- 4-8 long-sleeved onesies (with snaps at the crotch and envelope folds at the shoulder). The envelope folds makes it easy for pulling down the onesies over the baby’s legs instead of getting it over the head – which means you can easily get a baby out of a mess.
- 4-6 infant t-shirts (with envelope folds at the shoulder or kimono-style with some snaps)
- 4-6 pants (footies can also be used)
- 4-8 pajamas or sleeping sacks
- 1-4 jackets (sweaters) with front buttons
- 4-8 booties or socks (shoes are not needed until the baby begins to walk)
- 1-2 baby hats with a brim (a soft cap that covers the ears to prevent baby from winter cold or a hat that is broad-brimmed useful for summer)
- Fleece suit or bunting bag for winter
- Heavy and lightweight stroller blankets
- Mittens with no-scratch
- Stretchy pants or leggings
- One-piece outfit and undershirts
- Special outfit (for holidays and special occasion)
- Mild detergent for laundry
Your baby checklist would not be considered complete without the essential baby items for feeding your baby. So, you must be ready to feed your baby round the clock (whether through bottle-feeding or exclusive breastfeeding). Therefore, the following baby checklist is important to stock up on feeding-related essentials your baby would need.
Also, it’s ideal to check with your pediatrician for the correct feeding and nutritional formula.
- 2-5 burp cloths
- Receiving blankets
- 4-8 bottles and nipples
- Nursing cover (if you plan exclusive breastfeeding)
- 4-8 bibs
- Nursing pillow
- Breast pump (if you plan exclusive breastfeeding)
- Bottle warmer (optional)
- Formula (if you are not going to nurse the baby)
- Bottle sterilizer (optional)
- Milk storage bag or bottles (if you plan exclusive breastfeeding)
- Bottle drying rack
- Nipple cream (if you plan on exclusive breastfeeding)
- High chair
- Dishwasher basket (for holding small items)
Baby Bath And Wellness Essentials
Due to their relatively small size, gentleness is required in bathing them. However, the use of hammocks and infant tubs can make bath time easy for you and interesting for your newborn.
These new baby essentials can be gotten at an affordable price at yard sales or thrift stores around you.
The baby bath and wellness essentials include the following;
- Baby bathtub seat
- 2-3 hooded baby towels 9optional)
- Soft washcloths
- Body wash and baby shampoo
- Baby lotion (optional)
- Cotton swab
- Baby nail clippers
- Toys for bathtub
- Soft brush
Baby Health And Safety Essentials
It is highly recommended to have some health and safety essentials at home incase your baby suddenly gets sick.
These items are part of the main things for a newborn baby checklist;
- First-aid kit (this should include tweezers, adhesive bandage, baby thermometer, antibiotic ointment, and petroleum jelly – for circumcision care ). You might also choose to have a handy first-aid kit in the car or the diaper bag in case you are on the go.
- Soft-bristle hairbrush
- Bulb syringe
- Sunscreens (protect your little one from direct sunlight at least for the first six months)
- Baby proofing accessories (outlet covers, baby gates, corner guards, etc)
- Gentle or soft detergent
- Soft emery board or nail clippers
- Bulb nasal aspirator
- 4-8 pacifiers (optional)
- Cradle cap brush
On-The-Go Baby Checklist
After coming home from the hospital, there will be many opportunities for you and the newborn to begin to explore around.
Irrespective of your destination or location, you should always be ready for mommy duties on-the-go.
Therefore your baby checklist won’t be complete without this newborn baby gear list;
- Car seat or convertible car seat
- Diaper bag (washable)
- Wrap, baby carrier, or sling
- Portable crib
- Sunshades (shield) for car window
- Portable changing bag
- Disposable diaper pail
- Stroller rain cover
- Bouncer or baby swing
- Travel bag
- Wet bag (for cloth diapers)
- Mirror for viewing the baby from the front seat.
- Pack and play portable bed
Baby Linens And Sleeping Essentials
Nothing relaxes a baby like having a sound sleep. So, in creating this environment for your baby – it is highly recommended that you have enough padding with a soft cloth, and at least, a waterproof liner.
However, there must not be too much bedding because this can disrupt the newborn’s breathing. So, choose blankets that are light in weight and thickness, and that match the internal temperature.
In keeping the newborn warm, ensure to have sleep sacks and swaddling fabric.
Besides, do not forget to go through the safety disclaimers on the sleeping essentials for the newborn.
Therefore, the following are some of the baby linens and sleeping essentials mostly needed by your newborn;
- Crib mattress pad
- 1-2 receiving blankets
- 2 cotton blankets
- 1-2 sleeping sacks
- 2 waterproof liners (to be placed under the baby – one for the crib and the other for the co-sleeper or bassinet)
- Light comforter (not to be placed under baby’s head)
Baby Play Essentials
Babies begin to interact with their environment as they grow, so, having these play essentials will help to stimulate discoveries. It could be in the form of touch, smell, and sound, seeing, or smelling.
To make a baby’s playtime fun-filled, you must ensure to have abundant tactile, colorful, and high-contrast play essentials.
This period of your baby’s development should not be toyed with because it helps to develop the child’s cognitive abilities.
- Playmat with toys
- Baby storybooks
- Musical MP3s and CDs for baby
- Bouncy seats
- Baby ball
- Bright, mobile, books and high-contrast art prints
Interestingly, you could forget that as a mom-to-be, you would need some essentials too. Since you would be the newborn attendant, you would need stuff that is comfortable and easy-to-carry.
Getting ready for the arrival of your newborn can both be fun-filled and at the same time exhausting. So, going through this baby checklist would guide and direct you in getting the things that are not only needed but also important.
So, you must ensure you are well-prepared in all the sections of the baby checklist.
From the nursery essentials to the diapering essentials, to the wardrobe and clothing essentials, to the feeding essentials, bath and wellness essentials, health essentials, linens and sleeping essentials, baby play essentials, and the on-the-go baby checklist.
When should you start buying baby stuff (check out where to get free baby stuff)? There is no better time than when your pregnancy has been confirmed. So, early preparation would help you not to omit the things new moms forget to buy.
Also, you need to decide where to buy your baby stuff. You could visit the thrift stores around you if you have a tight budget, but make sure that the materials are thoroughly washed before use. Besides, there are other mother and child outlets where these essentials are sold.
Therefore, the above-highlighted baby checklist makes-up the list of what you need for a newborn. Get ready for an exciting and fulfilling motherhood journey!