I’m guessing it’s a girl! Congratulations!
Having a baby is such a beautiful experience. The joy of becoming a parent and the happiness it brings is indescribable; not forgetting the baby shower, the pretty clothes, a new room for the baby and of course lots of gifts!
During this period there’s usually so much joy and celebration. Some parents will gladly go through the stress of having a gender reveal party in addition to the baby shower.
The next thing on the list would be to find the perfect name for her-if it’s a baby girl.
Finding the right name for your newborn can be both exciting and stressful. Yes, really stressful. You’ll need to go through the process of researching to find the perfect name that’ll meet both legal and family standards.
It’s kinda tricky going through a very long list just to pick one or two names… Here are some things to consider before choosing a name for your baby.
What to consider when choosing a baby name
1.Meaning of the name
Every name has its unique meaning and believe me, some may not resonate with you.
Loving the name or how it sounds alone, shouldn’t be reason enough for you to adopt the name for your baby. The meaning of the name is important too, maybe even more important than the sound of the name.
Lola for example means, “lady of sorrow”
See why you can’t give that little cutie just any name?
You need to be intentional about the meaning. For example you may want to name a bright and beautiful girl “Alina”. You could also try “Abigail” for a girl who brings much joy to her father.
There’s a saying that your child becomes exactly like the name he/she bears. That’s a good reason to be intentional.
Other names with dark meanings you’ll probably want to avoid
– Claudia meaning “Lame”
– Cecilia meaning “Blind”
– Portia meaning “Pig”
– Leah meaning “Weary”
– Deirdre meaning “Sorrowful”
– Mara meaning “Bitter”
2.Family and baby naming traditions
There are some age-long or family traditions that ensure certain names stay in the family.
For example, the first female child in the family may be named after her grandmother or even great grandmother to keep the name in the family.
Sometimes the names could be given with a Jr or numerical attachment( I, II, III). Check out 80 top Italian names here.
In some cases, particular initials are even required. For example, Julia, Jane, Juanita, Jocelyn, e.t.c.
In other cases, the names could be given as a tribute to a deceased relative.
3.Legal issues in choosing baby girl names
Certain country’s laws do not allow for some names or allow for characters in spelling of names.
Although the name laws in America do not really pose such problems, it is still important you check with the Department for Vital Statistics to confirm the names.
4.Unique baby girl names
Almost everyone wants to name his or her child that unique and perfect name. There are various ways to come up with a unique name
– You could try naming your child by a memorable place; e.g Paris
– Combining names could do the trick. Aria + Ella; Ariella. Zoella from “Zoe” and “Ella”
– Altering a letter or two in the spellings could also work. Chris could be written as Kris. Lily could be changed to Lili
– Foreign names with the same meanings of what you’ll want in your native language, could work too.
5.Gender specific names
Some names are gender specific and may not be given to the other gender. You’ll need to find out the female version. You’ll not want to be caught in a state where you register your daughter’s name and you’re asked if she’s male or female.
Some names have alterations for both genders. Daniel – Daniella, Justin –Justine, Chris – Christabel, Christie…
Some names are unisex too. For example, Peyton, Frankie, Charlie, Avery, Quinn and Riley.
Different religious groups would require different obligations for naming a child. For most religions, there’s a naming ceremony where a name is possibly chosen from a collection with certain spiritual meanings or even names of a religious leader from that sect.
In some cases, the child may be allowed to retain his already chosen first name and just add up a spiritual name. While others may require that the child bears a religious name as her first name.
You will need to talk to your religious leaders if you belong to any, to know the proper procedure needed in naming your child.
7.Difficult names to pronounce
You may want to check for the pronunciation of the name. Some names are really difficult to pronounce. For example, Anais is pronounced as ah-nah-EES…
Mireille is a very beautiful name, meaning “to admire,” but is prounounced as meer-RAY
My point exactly! You’ll need to explain every single time, how to pronounce your child’s name if the name is that difficult to pronounce.
Other tips in choosing baby girl names
- Be sure to check the ease of spelling.
- Check the length of the name.
- Check the nicknames too.
- You’ll also need to consider the initials.
- You may also want to check for popular celebrities bearing the same name.
First top 100 Baby Girl Names and their meanings
1. Olivia – Olive
2. Emma – Universal woman
3. Ava – Living and breathing
4. Sophia – Woman of wisdom
5. Isabella – Promise of God
6. Charlotte – Free woman
7. Amelia – Hard-working
8. Mia – Rebellious woman
9. Harper – Harp player
10. Evelyn – Longed for
11. Abigail – My father’s delight
12. Emily – Competitor, rival
13. Ella – Sympathy, compassion
14. Elizabeth – Promise of God
15. Camila – the honorable, a youth employed in religious services
16. Luna – the moon
17. Sofia – wisdom
18. Avery – Ruler of elves
19. Mila – gracious, dear
20. Aria – Air
21. Scarlett – Red cloth vendor
22. Penelope – Weaver
23. Layla – Woman of the night
24. Chloe – Little green sprout
25. Victoria – Woman of victory
26. Madison – Matthew’s child
27. Eleanor – Sympathy, compassion
28. Grace – Elegant and graceful woman
29. Nora – Honor
30. Riley – From a meadow of rye
31. Zoey – Life
32. Hannah – Gracious
33. Hazel – Hazel tree
34. Lily – Lily flower
35. Ellie – Sympathy, compassion
36. Violet – Violet flower
37. Lillian – Lily flower
38. Zoe – Life
39. Stella – Like a star
40. Aurora – Sunrise
41. Natalie – Birthday of Christ
42. Emilia – Competitor, rival
43. Everly – From a wild boar meadow
44. Leah – Delicate woman
45. Aubrey – Ruler of elves
46. Willow – Willow tree
47. Addison – Adam’s child
48. Lucy – Light of the day
49. Audrey – Of noble strength
50. Bella – Promise of God
51. Nova – New
52. Brooklyn – From the land of the broken
53. Paisley – From a glade
54. Savannah – Grassland without trees
55. Claire – Bright and clear
56. Skylar – Scholar
57. Isla – From the Islay island
58. Genesis- The beginning
59. Naomi – Congeniality
60. Elena – Torch, beautiful, light, bright and shining
61. Caroline – Free woman
62. Eliana – My Lord responded
63. Anna – Gracious, merciful
64. Maya – Born in the month of May
65. Valentina – Strong and sound
66. Ruby – Ruby, gemstone
67. Kennedy – Protected with helmet
68. Ivy – Climbing plant
69. Ariana – The holiest one
70. Aaliyah – Exalted, sublime
71. Cora – Maiden
72. Madelyn – of Magdala, sublime
73. Alice – Noble, graceful
74. Kinsley – King’s meadow
75. Hailey – Hay clearing
76. Gabriella – God is my strong man
77. Allison – Noble, kind
78. Gianna – God is merciful
79. Serenity – Serene, peaceful
80. Samantha – Lord has heard
81. Sarah – Princess, lady-like
82. Autumn – Season of fall
83. Quinn – Wise, reasonable
84. Eva – Living and breathing
85. Piper – Playing the pipe
86. Sophie – Wisdom
87. Sadie – Princess, lady-like
88. Delilah – Delicate woman
89. Josephine – God raises
90. Nevaeh – Heaven
91. Adeline – Noble, nobility
92. Arya – Noble
93. Emery -Home power
94. Lydia – Coming from Lydia
95. Clara – Bright and clear
96. Vivian – Full of life
97. Madeline – Woman from Magdala
98. Peyton – From the town of Paega
99. Julia – Soft-haired
100. Rylee – Brave, rye clearing
Other top baby girl names according to the SSA
10 Rare baby girl names and their meanings
1. Jasmine – Jasmine flower
2. Marlowe – from the hill by the lake, lake remains, remnants of a lake
3. Brea – Beauty Beyond Sight
4. Elisya – devoted to God
5. Grecia – gracious, graceful
6. Ember – Ray of light, spark
7. Avril – The Month of April
8. Lilia – my God is abundance, lily
9. Cora – girl, maiden, daughter
10. Marisol – sea and sun
If your looking to choose a popular name, the Social Security Administration (SSA) has a list of, 1,000 most popular baby girl names.
I hope you find that name that satisfies your desire, is befitting for your child and defines your child in a good way.