When your baby turns six months, he or she is assumed to have entered the crawling stage. A stage where they want to and can go about on their knees with the desire to have a feel of everything they can see. At this point, you have to encourage the new moves by allowing them free movement while also being very conscious of their safety which is the main purpose of the freestanding baby gate.
A freestanding gate is a safety gate that keeps crawling babies away from areas that might be dangerous to them therefore it is important that as an expectant parent or if you already have a baby in hand, you should plan towards having one of the best baby gates listed in this post installed in your house before your little one begins to crawl.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links from Amazon or other publishers I trust (at no extra cost to you). See disclosure for details.
10 Best Baby Gates
Evenflo Secure Step Gate
Evenflo’s Secure Step gate is designed in the normal width for most corridors, bedrooms, doorways, stairs, and kitchens. It has a one-hand glide handle that is easy and comfortable to use daily. It is 30 inches in height and stretches from 29 inches to 42 inches in width to fit any opening and it requires very little hardware for installation.
- It has a one-hand glide handle
- It is 30 inches in height and stretches from 29 inches to 42 inches in width.
- It is suitable for most openings such as stairways, bedrooms, kitchens, and more.
- It is easy to install
- It is easy to walk through
- The swings open in both ways
- The latches are usually not strong
Cumbor Safety Baby Gate
This baby gate has a double lock design that makes it hard for babies to open although it is easy to walk through for older children and adults. It has a width of 29.5 to 46 inches with a height of 30.5 inches. The lock can close automatically so the gate is not left open.
- It has a double-lock design
- The lock can close automatically
- It has a width of 29.5 to 46 inches with a height of 30.5 inches
- It is comfortable to use
- It is suitable for most openings
- It can accommodate up to 150-pound force
- The installation guide is not detailed
Lemon Tree Baby Gates
Lemon Tree’s baby gates have a width from 30 inches to 40 inches, and a dual locking system that can be adjusted independently and shut automatically. It comes with sticky pads and wall cups that allow for easy installation without causing dents or scratches on the walls.
- It has a dual-locking system
- It comes with sticky pads and wall cups that allow for easy installation
- It is durable
- It is easy to install
- The swings can open can in both ways
- It does not cause dents or scratches on walls
- It might not close automatically when the gate is opened at 90 degrees
Cardinal Gates Stairway Angle Baby Gate
The cardinal gates stairway angle is made of aluminum with a height of 29 inches, an adjustable width from between 27 to 42 inches, and a bar spacing of two inches. It is designed to be used at the top of a stairwell although it can also work for other openings. It comes with a high level of safety and the latch system is difficult to be opened by small hands.
- It is made of aluminum
- It has a powder-coated finish
- Has a two-inches bar spacing
- It is designed for the top of a stairway
- Has a latch system that is difficult for toddlers to open
- It has a height of 29 inches and an adjustable width of between 27 to 42 inches
- It can open in both directions
- It is available in a different color
- It is light
Regalo 2-In-1 Extra Tall Easy Swing Baby Gate
This baby gate has a height of 40-inch and a width ranging from 24 inches to 40.5 inches. It is durable and it will keep your little one safe from the stairs. It swings open with a revolving latch that makes it easy for you to walk through.
- Comes with a safety lock
- Designed with a revolving latch
- It has a height of 40 inches and a width ranging from 24 inches to 40.5 inches
- It is durable
- It is easy to install
- It has a clear instructions guide
- It opens in a single direction
Toddleroo By North States Baby Gate
Toddleroo by North States’ baby gate is designed from a durable stainless along with a warm white finish that complements any home décor. It comes with a safety latch and allows a one-handed operation. It is 36 inches high and ranges from 28.68 to 47.85 inches in width.
- It comes with a safety latch
- It is designed with a quality stainless
- It has a height of 36 inches and a width ranging from 28.68 to 47.85 inches.
- It is safe for kids
- It’s difficult to climb
- It has an attractive design
- It is not suitable for tall kids
Ottolives Metal Baby Gate
This baby gate is suitable for toddlers and has an automated closing feature that can be operated using one hand. It has a height of 29.9 inches and a width ranging from 27 to 40 inches. Its walk-through doorway allows for convenience
- It has an automated closing
- Comes with an installation kit
- It has a walk-through doorway
- It has a height of 29.9 inches and a width ranging from 27 to 40inches.
- It is durable
- It does not require drilling
- The Installation guide may not be clear
Allaibb Walk-Through Baby Gate
If you are in search of a baby gate that is easy to set up, Allaibb’s baby gate is the best to opt for. It can expand to suit most openings with a width ranging from 24.2 inches to 76.38 inches. It has pressure pads at the bottom to prevent the baby gate from wearing down the wall. It has an automatic closing feature and one-handed operation and is suitable for babies between 6 months and three years.
- Has dual swinging doors
- It has a one-handed operation
- Comes with a large metal rod
- It comes with pressure pads at the bottom
- Has a width ranging from 24.2inches to 76.38inches
- It is easy to set up
- Force can cause the gate to bend.
Summer Infant Top Of Stairs Baby Gate
This is a metal gate that has a secured slide and locks with a white metal finish. It comes with a grip handle that makes it easy to close with one hand. It is 42 inches wide with 30 inches in height.
With this gate, you can keep babies and pets away from certain areas in your house.
- Comes with a secured lock and a grip handle.
- It is 42 inches wide with 30 inches in height
- It is durable
- It is easy to use
- It can be installed easily
- It complements most home decor
- It may require a power drill
Munchkin Loft Baby Gate
The Munchkin Loft baby gate comes with a sleek and modern design with safety features. Its sizing system can be adjusted for a vertical fit while the integrated tuning system allows for easy width modifications
Its integrated handle’s double-locking system is hard for kids to operate. Although, with a simple push, the gate allows easy access.
- Comes with accessory kit
- It has a two-way opening gate lock
- It comes with a sleek and modern design
- It is not heavy
- It ensures the safety of babies
- The locks are sometimes difficult to use
Types Of Baby Gates
- Hardware-Mounted Baby Gates.
- Wall Mounted Safety Gates
- Freestanding Or Pressure Mounted Safety Gates
Hardware-Mounted Baby Gates
These types of gates are also referred to as screw fit. There’s usually a bracket in place into which it is installed and this can either be the frames behind the walls to keep the gate in place and prevent it from falling over. It could also be installed in a door frame.
Hardware-mounted styles are more suitable for the top of stairs because it reduces the risk of the gates falling over. They are the sturdiest type of baby gate because they are made from sturdy materials like aluminum.
Wall Mounted Safety Gates
To install these safety gates, you will require the use of screws which will be used to secure them to the wall or door frame. It is best to be used as a divider.
It can easily be moved from one set of fittings to another but note that the opening measurements should be the same as the places where you want to use the safety gate.
Freestanding Or Pressure Mounted Safety Gates
These gates are mounted inside a door frame or between two walls. You don’t need to drill holes or use screws. These gates can be used at the bottom of the stairs, on the corridor, or a doorway.
When installing a pressure-mounted safety gate, you need the right amount of tension to hold it in place- about four or more tension points may be required to make these gates stand up in doorways
They require fitting all the corners of the gate into a door frame. They are not suitable for the top of the stairs.
How To Choose The Right Baby Gates
Here are what to consider when shopping for a baby gate, so you can get great value for your money.
Aluminum and steel are known to be sturdy and last longer than the other types of materials like mesh. So when selecting your freestanding baby gate, pick the one that is made of any of these materials.
These materials must be strong enough to accommodate the roughness and weight of babies who are likely to be pulling, climbing, biting, or leaning on the gate.
All doorways and openings can not be the same width therefore you must take measurements of the width of the opening where you want to use it.
Take measurements of the distance between the skirting boards for doors. and the walls.
There are several ways baby gates are made to both open and close. Some gates swing open in the same direction, some can be shut automatically and others manually. Choose a locking system that is easy for adults to operate but hard for a baby to open. You can opt for something with a larger grip or rotation action.
Before you buy your baby gate, it is important to consider the location you will be installing it because the outward pressure of mounted gates is not often safe around places with railings since the mounts push the railings, making them unstable.
If you will be installing it at the top of the stairs, check the edge rails to watch for any likely tripping hazard. Where you want the gate to be installed outdoors, a durable plastic body should be chosen instead of wood or metal.
Choose baby gates that can be installed with ease. Those with simple steps do not require too many screws or wall patches.
Buying baby gates from reputable manufacturers with recognized certifications such as Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and approval from organizations that test products for infant safety will put you and your baby in a safe place. Avoid gates with exposed coils, sharp edges, large openings, or any moving parts that could pose a threat to your little one.
A baby gate is a physical barrier that is made to keep crawling babies safe either indoors or outdoors from gaining access to dangerous areas.
Due to the many potential risks within and outside the home, getting a baby gate can be helpful to keep your child safe although it should not be used as an alternative to proper supervision.
Free-standing baby gates are either made from wood, metal, mesh, steel, or plastic. Wood and steel are the strongest and most secure.
A baby gate can be placed;
At the top and bottom of the stairs
Around the fireplace
At laundry area
In the kitchen
At the office
Around large objects
Once you have babies that have either learned how to climb over the gate or are three years and above, you can remove the gate.
Usually, baby gates and pet gates are often made from the same types of materials but the materials used for baby gates are much lighter than that of pet gates.
The benefits of freestanding gates cannot be overemphasized because although it does not relieve you from your responsibilities to keep watch over your little one, it contributes to ensuring the safety of your kids.
You might also like:
- 50 Wise Names That Mean Old - April 3, 2023
- 50+ Sweet Names That Mean Guardian Angel - April 3, 2023
- 120+ Best Albanian Baby Names - April 3, 2023